Islamic Studies Level 2 (book from Weekend Learning Series), written by Mansur Ahmad and Husain A. Nuri, is designed generally for 7–8-year-olds who have completed the 1st level in this series. Students in second or third grade study this book in their second or third year in a formal Islamic class. This book builds on the knowledge base provided in the Level 1 book providing an additional emphasis on those topics. This text goes slightly more in depth, introducing the fundamentals of Islam.
The authors have thematically presented all lessons in distinct units. Unit 1 focuses on Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى as the Creator as well as His message to humanity. This unit answers questions about Allah, the Quran, Islam and faith. Unit 2 focuses on the 5 pillars of Islam. Unit 3 covers some of the significant stories of the Messengers, and Unit 4 covers other topics about Islam, which are relevant for students in this mentioned age group. Lastly, Unit 5 discusses akhlaq (character) and proper adab (manners) based on the Quran and the authentic sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammadﷺ.
This Level 2 book includes:
- 28 lessons on Allah, The Holy Qur’an, Islam, Prophet Muhammadﷺ, the hadith and sunnah, 5 pillars of Islam, and many more on other fundamentals of Islam.
- A beginning coloring page for each lesson, that helps ease students into the lesson and get comfortable in class before the lesson begins.
- Short paragraphs to introduce two or three concepts at a time to suit the attention span of small children.
- In-class review section that allows students for short break and reinforce learning.
- Some homework for students; however, schools as well as parents are encouraged to buy a separate workbook which has many more chapter-based activities and test questions.